This standard was last reviewed and confirmed in 2022. Therefore this version remains current.
- specifies the minimum requirements for the design of labels containing a linear bar code and two‑dimensional symbols on product packages to convey data between trading partners,
- provides guidance for the formatting on the label of data presented in a linear bar code, two‑dimensional symbols or human‑readable form,
- provides specific recommendations regarding the choice of linear bar code and 2D symbologies, and specifies quality requirements and classes of bar code density,
- provides specific recommendations regarding 2D symbologies, which allow a broad choice for general use of scanning hardware (e.g. area imagers, linear imagers, single‑line laser scanners, and rastering laser scanners), and
- makes recommendations as to label placement, size and the inclusion of free text and any appropriate graphics.
Status: PublishedPublication date: 2010-12
Edition: 2Number of pages: 47
Technical Committee: ISO/TC 122 Packaging
This standard contributes to the following Sustainable Development Goals:
Buy this standard
|std 1 166|
|std 2 166||Paper|
A standard is reviewed every 5 years
Stage: 90.93 (Confirmed)
Got a question?
Check out our FAQs
+41 22 749 08 88
Monday to Friday - 09:00-12:00, 14:00-17:00 (UTC+1)
Keep up to date with ISO
Sign up to our newsletter for the latest news, views and product information.